0

Senza categoria

zennor and d. h. lawrence

2 settembre 2015 at 06:46 By

11917476_897494967004871_2431547477367570832_n

Zennor lies about 7 miles south west of St Ives, just off the coast road towards St Just. It is also situated on the South West Coast Path and well placed as the start and end point for a number of shorter circular walks to Towednack, Carn Galva and Zennor Head. The village has a pub ‘The Tinners Arms’, Wayside Folk Museum, Backpacker’s Hostel and Café/Tearoom.

At the centre of the village is The Church of Saint Senara parts of which date back to Norman times. One of two carved pew ends in the church depicts a mermaid and has been linked to the legend of the Mermaid of Zennor who is said to have visited the church after hearing Mathey Trewella singing there, and lured him away to live with her in the sea.

During the First World War, author DH Lawrence and his German wife, Freida von Richthofen – a distant cousin of the flying ace, the Red Baron, came to live in Zennor. Before eventually renting a nearby cottage they originally they stayed on the Tinners Arms, which was reinvented as The Tinners Rest in Lawrence’s story Samson & Delilah. Lawrence’s outspoken anti-war views and the fact his wife was German did not endear them to the locals, indeed many suspected them of being spies. They left Cornwall in 1917 and never returned.

from Cornwall Holiday Guide

Please follow and like us:

Lascia un commento